Postcard marketing is a powerful marketing tool for businesses of all sizes. Direct mail marketing or marketing handouts using postcards helps businesses acquire new customers and retain existing ones. It’s a promotional strategy that small to medium businesses can use to market their product or service in a cost-effective way. However, just like any marketing campaign, postcard marketing will only fetch results when they are creative, attention-grabbing and the messaging resonates with the audience.
As one of the premier printing companies in Southern California, we have assisted many companies with their vertical market print needs. Here we share with you a few useful insights on creating a powerful postcard marketing campaign:
- Start with a solid and compelling headline: When launching a postcard marketing campaign, always remember this famous quote by David Ogilvy on headline:
“On the average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar.” It is because the first thing your customers see is the headline.
When working on the headline, follow these rules:
- Ensure that it is not vague. Make sure the headline is concise and clear..
- The headline should either highlight what the product or service is or what you want the customers to do.
- An actionable headline is the one that encourages readers to take a specific action.
- Use call-to-action words are buy, subscribe or visit, depending on your goal, you can choose appropriate action words.
- When writing a headline, consider the customer demographic and the kind of language that will appeal to them.
- Use relevant images: The image used on the postcard grabs the attention of consumers and communicates to them what the postcard is about. It supports the headline in giving a cohesive message. Just like the headline, the image should be directly related to the service or product you are offering. No matter how beautiful an image is, if it distracts the customers from your service or product, it is failing its purpose.
- Sell the benefits: When you are creating a postcard, always remember, people do not buy features, they buy benefits. Make sure that the postcards highlight all the benefits of your product or service. Folded postcards are perfect when you need more space to get your message across.
- Stick to one message: Did you know that the average human attention span has reduced from 12 seconds to 8 seconds? The information age has changed the way people consume content and their attention span. To deliver your message and strike a chord with the audience with a short and dwindling span, it is suggested to remove the clutter from your brand message. The best way to do this is to use one postcard at a time to focus on one key idea and convey one message. Communicating too much information in your postcard can leave the reader confused and make them less likely to take action.
- Increase the shelf life of your postcard with a coupon code: To ensure that your postcard does not end up in a pile of papers, you have to give readers a reason to hold onto it. A great way of doing that would be to give a coupon code or discount code in the postcard that customers can read whenever they want to take an action.
- Use contrasting colors: For sections such as call to actions or offers, use colors that grab your customer’s attention and prompt them to take action. Contrasting colors will increase the chances of customers seeing the most important areas of the postcard.
- Do not skimp printing quality: If you want perfect postcards for your business, hire the services of an experienced and reputed printing company. If you do not use the latest printing technology along with high-quality paper, you will end up with problems such as poor image quality, hard to read text and even partial printing.
We, at Sumi Printing, offer flat postcards and folder postcard printing for direct mailing and marketing handouts. For a vibrant and professional finish, all our postcards are printed using the latest printing technology. All postcards are in mailable sizes. We have high-quality as well as budget-friendly paper options. From a high-gloss to a matte finish, you can give the postcards the desired look. With us, you can print as few as 25 copies or as many as 10,000 copies. If you have any custom requests, please contact us and we will be happy to help.